40K Army Progress – 9/29/16

Because I can’t leave well enough alone when it comes to miniature-related projects, I have about 4 or 5 going on my table right now. All of them are Warhammer, and all of them are 40K, because if I’m going to start one army then why not just start two. Those two are Orks and Tau, though I may also have some Tyranids, Space Marines, and Chaos Demons kicking around at home. Admittedly those are more because I liked the aesthetic and thought I could use the miniatures for other things.

I want to make it a point to start keeping track of how I’m progressing, so here we are: writing and reading things on the internet. Note that I’m only documenting things as I work on them, and only with what’s been done during the most recent session.

Orks – Gretchin

Let’s just get this out of the way: I was pretty sloppy when it came to getting these guys off their sprues in preparation for painting, and I acknowledge that this was a mistake. These models are so┬ásmall that any extra bit of plastic is going to be made to look massive. And while I did remove the largest chunks, I didn’t stress too much about mold lines and the like. The runt-herd is a bit different, as there are more build options for him, so I was a bit more thorough in that regard.

These are the first miniatures that I did not plan to paint separate from their bases, and so everything was glued down using plastic cement before I hit it with an airbrushed coat of Vallejo black primer. The runt-herd’s head and squigg were kept separate, as attaching them now would obscure some details during the painting process.

Orks – Deff Dread

All that’s really left to be done with this model is the basing, so I cracked open a jar of Vallejo dirty paste that I bought specific for my Orks. Essentially it’s a fine grit paste with brown pigment; it kinds of looks like brownie batter. I applied a thick coat of that on the base and parts of the model’s feet and set it aside to dry.

Tau – Riptide Battlesuit

I’ve decided that this is going to be the model I work on for Broken Paintbrush’s “Dreadtober” event, where you build and paint a walker-sized model (like a 40K dreadnaught) through the month of October. The Riptide is built in a number of sub-assemblies, both to make painting easier and because this is one that I want to get just right. Tonight my work on it really only entailed magnetizing the right arm and the two big honkin’ guns that can be attached there, and regluing one of the fins for the left arm’s shield-lookin’ thing (I’m sure there’s a proper name for it, but I don’t know what it is off-hand).